For more information, call (405) 478-2250 ext. 232 or email resume to HR@nationalcowboymuseum.org.
Reports To: Chief Marketing Officer
Status: Exempt, Full Time
Salary Range: $35,000 – $40,000 based on experience
The Communications Specialist is tasked with the communications efforts for the Museum, museum events and Museum Store. The individual for this position will excel at project management, be an effective communicator, be able to generate targeted messages, and manage institutional communication strategies to ensure excellence in execution of the Museum’s communication efforts.
- Serve as primary media spokesperson for the Museum
- Manage media inquiries
- Provide information, press kits and photographs to meet editorial requests.
- Coordinate and supervise interview requests with appropriate museum staff.
- Secure local, regional, national and international media coverage of the Museum’s collections, educational and programmatic activities, exhibitions, events and Museum Store
- Solicit, plan, coordinate and host media visits.
- Write, route, edit, distribute and follow-up on targeted monthly news releases, as part of the quarterly content calendar.
- Cultivate media contacts and maintain contact database
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive database of information and background stories for media use.
- Manage media at events, including assisting with group photo coordination
- Promote individual artists participating in shows, working with Marketing Specialist on a social media cheat-sheet
- Track media mentions and upload releases to in a PR report which is sent monthly to executive team and to exhibition stakeholders as requested.
- Work with media tracking service to find mentions and generate ideas for other ways to promote the museum & events.
- Prepare media coverage report for executive team
- Develop and coordinate the execution of an annual communications plan to meet the specific communications goals of the Museum, museum events and the Museum Store.
- Lead development of a quarterly content calendar, working with the Marketing Specialist to develop schedules of news releases, website updates and social media posts.
- Develop and coordinate the execution of a crisis communications plan
- Identify and develop relationships with tourism and hospitality partners to promote the Museum as a cultural destination as well as local relationships with key arts and business organizations to expand customer base
- Coordinate the fulfillment of advertorials and other writing assignments as needed.
- Write various types of articles on a wide range of topics for the Museum Store.
Will participate in special events, openings, programs and receptions which can occur on evenings and weekends.
- Bachelor’s degree required in communications, marketing or related field
- 2 years of experience in public relations, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Working knowledge of project management
- Exceptional knowledge of AP writing style, as well as proven proofreading and editing skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop and InDesign)
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills
- Knowledge and understanding of various social media applications
- Critical thinking skills and excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work well with others and maintain professional manner using tact, initiative, good judgment and confidentiality
- Deadline driven and able to prioritize competing tasks while maintaining efficiency
- Knowledge of Constant Contact and WordPress
- Valid Oklahoma Driver License within 3 months of employment.
Frequent exposure to pressure caused by deadline and busy periods; frequently required to lift, bend, stoop and carry; ability to engage in repetitive motions; grasp objects with fingers or hands; communicate including expressing oneself or exchanging information with others; visual acuity. Frequently sitting or standing for long periods of time.
Email resume, cover letter and writing examples to firstname.lastname@example.org
The National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum preserves and interprets the evolving history and cultures of the American West for the education & enrichment of its diverse audiences